Thursday, August 9, 2007

Wonderful Audio Book by James Lee Burke



"I wanted to wake to the great, gold-green, sun-spangled promise of the South Louisiana in which I had grown up. I didn't want to be part of the history taking place in our state." This quote from Mr. Burke's 16th Dave Robicheaux novel is just one example of his exquisitely descriptive writing style. The Tin Roof Blowdown is absolutely wonderful to listen to on audio. I am mesmerized every time we listen to the story on CD. For me,James Lee Burke's style is akin to an antique lace curtain covering the window of an antebellum home. The descriptions are full of dust and aromas from the past and cast wonderful moving shadows on your mind.

The full-lenght version my husband and I are listening to is read by Will Patton. He is by far our favorite reader of the Dave Robicheaux novels. However, I do wish he would decide if the nut's name is pee-can (accent on first syllable) or puh-kawn and be consistent. But this is just me; it might not bother you.

The setting for this novel is New Orleans and South Louisiana in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina. Mr. Burke's descriptions of the devastation of the city and the wrecked souls who live there are heartbreaking. I am very tempted to read the hard copy of this novel so I can relive and relish in Mr. Burke's writing. One can absolutely feel Burke's heartache and grief for the city that was NO.

Hurry up and read or listen to this book! To be trite, you won't be disappointed.

No comments: